Today Mr. Bruno asked what we thought about the book and if we liked it or not. I remember Nick and I said we started to like it around the third or fourth chapter once we understood it more. What were your favorite chapters or events of The Great Gatsby?
My two favorite chapters of the Great Gatsby are Chapter III and Chapter VI. Chapter III is when the story began to make sense to me, and when Gatsby was introduced. I did not really like the first two chapters because I felt like I was waiting for Gatsby to appear since his name is in the title. I also like Chapter VI when we learn more about Gatsby. I guess since the book is titled The Great Gatsby, my favorite parts were when we learned more about him. The book itself was really interesting, but these are my two favorite chapters.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
First off, I really did enjoy this one, but I must admit, it was confusing at first. I agree with Jenna; I was definitely waiting for Gatsby's appearance from the beginning. Initially, I didn't even realize that Gatsby was a character. Despite the fact that the first few chapters made me feel as if I was walking into an unfamiliar place blind-folded, I felt as though after about chapter 3, the plot really picked up. In a sense, it picked up almost too quickly because I did feel a bit overwhelmed with the number of characters that were thrown at me at once. But again, after I got into it, I really enjoyed the plot. Multiple love triangles/affairs tend to make things more interesting in any case, including in this one.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading the Great Gatsby. I actually liked the first chapter best. Although it did not discuss Gatsby until later in the book I enjoyed the style of writing. I especially enjoyed the first chapter because it deviated with how most writers begin their books at the time. I find it refreshing when someone steps outside of the boundaries and creates their own style. I did enjoy the book and the love lives of the characters. The drama that was boiling just underneath the surface at some points kept the reader on edge.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite chapter in The Great Gatsby was the third. The third chapter characterized Gatsby and Nick, and helped to establish the line between "forgery and authenticity." I agree with Jenna that the plot started to pick up at this point, and became enjoyable to read. I found this to be one of the more critical chapters in the book.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite chapter had to chapters one and two. I completely agree with Allison. I felt that the beginning set up the book perfectly, and Fitzgerald easied you into the stroy very nicely. I felt compelled to read more, even though we hadn't even met Gatsby yet. After the first two chapters the rest of the book was so much better because the set up and introductions to the story had made it so.
ReplyDeleteI would like to make one last point about the novel.
ReplyDeleteI was considering how Gatsby is both authentic and a fraud. I found that the first few chapters may have been written to emphasize this aspect of the novel. That is that Gatsby was not in the first few chapters because he is 'too good to be true'. I put that in quotes because it has a literal meaning. Gatsby is a fraud living the American Dream with authentic motives.
Gatsby is living with authentic motives, but maybe his motives were too good to be true as well. It is obvious that he was deeply in love with Daisy, but while he was trying to win her back over he shaped his own consciousness. He lied to her about his wealth even though she was already married to Tom. His lost consciousness that his ways of pertaining to Daisy weren't suitable.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite chapter was the seventh chapter. This chapter shows a different side to Gatsby by making it clear that he was a criminal. It also made it clear that the Daisy situation concerns both of them. On the the hand, it also shows Gatsby's true commitment to Daisy. This chapter really developed Gatsby's character and the plot.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite chapter was when Gatsby died. Not because he was killed, but because it showed to sad ending of greedy people; how people who want too much or have too much always end up worse off than they were before. His greed caused his destruction, along with others, so it really helped me see the moral of the story and how greed can affect people.
ReplyDelete